Friday, April 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



The Homeschool Chick's Journal Post for this week.

In my life this week... We accomplished the room swap and everyone has been sleeping in their new room for 4 nights now. I have a little bit more vacuuming and steam cleaning to do, but I am thinking tomorrow when DH can help me lift things. [That and today is payday and shopping day and we're out of cereal so I MUST SHOP.] This is a big change for us and DS hates, despises, reviles and loathes change. So mission accomplished and I am going to focus on enjoying the calm we have right now with this change and not the chaos [and wall ripping out] that is coming. [Inlaws spending next week here {*SIGH*} so hopefully we'll get an idea of how much wall ripping and when the wall ripping happens.]

In our homeschool this week... I have wanted to start our days with prayer and have focus on God during our day for a while now. At first my only goal for homeschool was getting into a routine. The one that unfolded has YDD starting her days with Jump Start computer time which is perfectly acceptable except it's not prayer like I want. After trying for a couple weeks, yesterday I started with prayer pretty easily. As the girls were getting ready for the day, I told YDD we'd start with prayer and then she could computer and it went smoothly. ODD and I picked a couple verses for her to memorize [something else I've wanted to add] and YDD checked how much she retained of Psalm 23. We worked on memorizing that months before we homeschooled. More God time in their day is good. So we got 1 good day and I hope it's the start of a pattern.

Places we're going and people we're seeing... Wednesday we traveled south to see a friend of mine from church. It was a short visit, but good. We were in the library again this week. We got every 2-4 days because we live so close. I love library visits because my girls come home and immediately curl up with their new books. They can not wait to dive into those new books; awesome.

My favorite thing this week was... getting back to routine. Last week was DS's Spring Break and DH was home lots and we love all that, but it isn't our regular routine. This week's iCal shows we've gotten back in the groove.

What's working/not working for us... Somehow it has been 10 days since YDD wrote and that is not working. It was tough getting her to write yesterday even with helping her with ideas. Needed some timeout time before she settled in. I need to remember this and no more big breaks from writing!

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... Thoughts. Hmmm. Well as you may know I've recently freaked out about not having a curriculum or even ANY single subject curriculum. My buddy from high school, Cheri, commented and this week I followed her link. And thank you, God, that I fit that into my day because I realized I am on the right path. I already have and am using the Core Knowledge series she [my paid teacher friend] suggests. Sweet. I love thinking/hoping/praying you are on the right path and then getting confirmation that you actually are. Thank you, God. So my homeschool thoughts have shifted to content again and I can quit worrying that I need to find curriculum for the fall or attend a homeschool convention. YAY!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share... Today is The Pigeon's birthday! Mo Willems' Pigeon! We love The Pigeon and Elephant & Piggie at my house. So today we're celebrating the Pigeon with Pigeon books, playing on the Pigeon's website and of course eating hot dogs.

4 comments:

  1. Overall, it looks like you had a good week! blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the changes all work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your room changes! We always start our day off with prayers. It is very good. In fact, my four year old asks to say prayers because he knows we pray first, work second, and play later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you getting back into a routine. I love routines! Hope you survivie the Inlaw visit. :)

    ReplyDelete