As I read blogs reflecting on this past year, I find an inability in myself to do that. We are so blessed to have made it through 2012 with our family intact. We are intact because another family lost a man. We are intact and yet battered. I keep trying to gather my thoughts and process the heart transplant journey and I haven't been able to. I cry easier now than I ever have. I'm not sure I'm ok with that change. So instead of looking backwards or processing or any of that, I am going to do what has helped get me through this year: give thanks to God.
1. I am thankful DH and I can embark together on a journey to get healthier. Together.
2. I am thankful we homeschool and I set our schedule.
3. I am thankful we're still off this week and even though my tree and all our decorations are still up, it doesn't matter. I'd like to have it all down by next Monday, but if I don't make it, it's not the end of the world.
4. I am thankful I can't taste 2 cups of spinach in a smoothie. I am not a good veggie eater because many don't have carbs and I have to eat a high carb diet. It's lovely to stick a veggie into my carbie breakfast drink and not notice it's flavor.
5. I am thankful we had a nice holiday season this year. Lots of time with family at our home and theirs.
6. I am thankful for my warm safe house.
7. I am thankful for coats and gloves the girls can wear to play outside whenever they want.
8. I am thankful for a new friend for ODD. We attend a tiny church and a new family started a few months ago. They have a girl a few months older than ODD who is homeschooled, too. The girls have hit it off and both families are appreciating that.
9. I am thankful YDD and my nephew, Z, are close. It's so funny because she was pretty sure he was a disgusting alien until he was about 18 months. Then they began playing together and love spending time together.
10. I am thankful I've learned to trust God during the past 13 months. I find myself not getting worked up about how _______ might not work out the way I thought it would. Too many times God has shown me He works things out in ways I could never understand or anticipate. If _______ doesn't work out, then I don't want it to and I know God will fill our need some other way. If the need is not filled right now, then we clearly do not need it right now and we will have it when we need it.