Friday, February 15, 2013

My Homeschool Mother's Journal - February 15



In my life this week…we started the week by having all the kids cousins spend the night Saturday night. We had 7 kids!
L-R: L age 4, Z age 6, YDD age 8, ODD age 11, DS age 17, and A age almost 5
It was a little hectic, but it was so good to be able to host a weekend like this; a sign our life is getting back to normal after the heart transplant.
Nothing like a collection of Legos to keep kids occupied!

DS and O age 1 are watching a ZuZu Pet Hamster driving around. O was fascinated!

More Lego Playing

O and ODD - so serious!

O and Uncle DH lounging

O and Aunt Becca I loved having a little one to snug for a bit

O and brother Z in the background
In our homeschool this week/Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… we have had much going this week. So much so that YDD decided not to attend today's book club even though she loves the book we discussed. The girls have swim lessons Tue/Thu, and art lessons on Tue, and additionally this week the girls went to watch their brother perform in student-directed One Acts.  We did have some inexplicably long breaks in the middle of our school days. I still am not sure how they ended up extra long, but they did. We are finishing up our chapters on Ancient China from SOTW vol 1, and we also finished The Phantom Tollbooth. I haven't gotten to Rosetta Stone myself in weeks and ODD is really outpacing me; I need to back to getting my 15 minutes/day in.

Favorite resource this week... Homeschool Share. I am now in charge of our older kids book club, and we did not get our book finished until Wednesday.  No worries because Homeschool Share had great stuff for me. Saved my bacon!

My and My kids' favorite thing this week was… our trip to Northern Lights Pub to have dinner and see Wreck It Ralph. We did it on Valentines Day and we all loved the movie.

What’s working/not working for us… dry weather because the girls have been outside on their bikes just about every day this week. There's more rain coming, but we're enjoying the dry spell!

Questions/thoughts I have… ODD and I had a conversation about what makes home. We decided home is where your family is and where you get your mail. Still pondering on that.

Things I’m working on… preparing for state required testing at the end of this school year for both girls. A couple things we need to cover, but it's mostly getting YDD accustomed to the idea and keeping her relaxed enough to show herself well. I know she knows that material, but she's got great test anxiety.

We're reading…
I got this for Christmas and I LOVE IT. I recommend you start reading this as soon as possible even if your girl is 1. It's a great book with ideas for raising your girl before she's a tween.

I recently got to hear Heidi speak and loved her. I have been enjoying this book. While in person, she is HILARIOUS, the book is not so much, but it is excellent.
My fluff this week. I am thinking with it being NFL off-season, I may start spending my Sundays reading.
ODD read this one and loved it and informed her sister that she MUST read it.

ODD finished this as well. She gave it only 4.5/5 stars because she said the ending was depressing

YDD finished this and said it was depressing as well. We apparently need some uplifting books around here!
 DH is cooking… smoked chicken. DH got a smoker for Christmas and we tried it out for the first time this week. Delicious!

I’m thankful for… for the chance to start anew every morning. I am thankful for all the changes that He's made in me. I am thankful for the opportunity to be real each week right here. Life is not perfect. I am not perfect. But life is good and we're appreciating God's many blessings for us.

 

2 comments:

  1. I've though about that question on what make home. In University I went 'home' for Christmas. Now home is where my wife and kids are. I'm not sure when that change occurred.

    I'm jealous of the smoker. I've done some of the BBQ with chips and very low heat but its not the same. I think enough of the snow has melted that I can reach my BBQ. Temptation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a houseful with all the cousins! Glad you had such a good week!

    ReplyDelete