Friday, February 21, 2014

My Homeschool Mother's Journal - February 21

 Homegrown Learners



In my life this week…I experienced a first in my life this week, but it wasn't a good first. My son got physically aggressive with me, pushing and grabbing me. My husband came flying home from work and in the 30 minutes it took him to get here, the boy was remorseful and apologetic. So I am praying the situation doesn't escalate further and working to get counseling set up [which has been way harder than I've ever experienced].

In our homeschool this week… Monday turned into a self-directed study day because of the above incident. My husband stayed home with the girls while I spent the afternoon with a cherished friend. We spent the rest of the week trying to get into our normal groove.

YDD was cold one morning, so I told her she could bring a blanket and Pinky to the warmest room in the house which is the half bath. As you can see, she brought a wee bit more and made herself a very nice reading nook. In the bathroom.
Helpful homeschooling Life tips or advice to share… just keep going. Life doesn't stop and you often don't know how to do it, but if you pray and keep taking steps, you will find you now do know how to do it. While you just keep going and pray, also give thanks to God and you will find peace in the most mind-boggling circumstances.

This week's art . . . ODD draw a picture with pencil and paper, then imported it into her digital drawing program where she colored it in, and she shared it on her blog which was pretty cool.
Last Saturday, ODD entered her first art contest. She submitted this original artwork to the library for their summer teen reading program. We find out who won March 2. I am very proud of her for sticking with her idea even though her parents weren't sure how it fit the library's theme. I am very proud of her for learning from last week and getting this week's art done the night before it was due. PROGRESS! I am very proud of her for working hard at her craft. Lots of her friends want to be good, but don't want to spend time on it. I am proud she is willing to put the time in.
Favorite resource this week . . .


My girls really enjoyed the Warriors Graphic Illustrated series. They read Knights, Vikings and Samurai which are all by Don Mcleese although I found other authors in the series when I looked it up on Powell's Online. ODD's assessment: good basic information to start with although she hates the art [but then she's picky about art].

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… last Friday was the Valentine's Day party with our local homeschool group, and all three of us enjoyed it.

What YDD is reading . . .

YDD has wanted some guidance in her self-directed studies, so I've been grabbing various non-fiction books as they pop up on my radar.This week, she's read: If You Lived When Women Won Their Rights by Anne Kamma; Thomas Jefferson Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything by Maira Kalman; The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman; If You Lived With the Indians of the Northwest Coast by Anne Kamma; The Tree Lady by H. Joseph Hopkins; and Brave Girl by Michelle Markel. She enjoyed all of them especially Thomas Jefferson who said I cannot live without books. 

My favorite thing this week was… was an afternoon with a friend and that evening just hanging with local homeschool moms.

Things I’m working on… Weight Watchers report. Last weekend I decided to go off WW and slow down my weight loss. It worked. The problem has been getting back started. I've eaten some WW recipes this week, but I haven't counted or tracked anything. It was a long rough week and my goal is to let that go and restart Monday.

Cooking… Last night, I had to take YDD to swim lessons and DH was working a long day, so it fell to ODD to cook dinner. I prepped things as much as I could for her:
She did a great job and dinner was delicious.
I’m thankful… there has actually been no barfing this week. I am thankful I do not need to roust my girls out of bed every morning. I am thankful for the dry weather so the girls can play outside today. I am thankful I can bless my church family with a meal today. I am thankful I am not the one in school with group projects to deal with [sadly my husband is]. I am thankful for soothing yogurt in my little one's tummy. I am thankful for free movie passes so we can go see a movie as a family tonight. I am thankful for the family who are happy to give us movie passes for gifts.

I’m praying for… DH and starting grad school; this has been his first week. Counseling for processing the heart transplant all of us. Counseling for DS and learning to life skills with his Asperger's.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)… we discovered this Piano Guy's Frozen video online. I bought this song from iTunes and we're going to see Frozen in the theater tonight. [Only YDD and I have seen it previously.]


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your difficult time with your son. We have several special needs kids and our older daughter has mental health issues that are causing many challenges right now. I pray counseling will help.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difficult start to your week, I hope this week was a better one. Praying your seeking assistance has paid off.

    ReplyDelete