Friday, August 1, 2014

My Homeschool Mother's Journal - August 1

Weekly Wrap-Up

In my life this week…I am not doing very good on the self-nurturing activities I'm supposed to be doing and I am feeling the result. It's just little things like reading or 15 minutes of personal God time [as opposed to with the girls]. It sounds silly when I type it, but it's just been so hard to fit that into my day. Not sure how to do it better, but I must somehow. I am very happy we aren't starting school until October 1 because I have a couple months still to get into the groove of taking better care of me before my schedule gets busy.

In our homeschool this week…keeping it real: we haven't done a great job of getting our daily God time and math practice in. Math has been 2-3 times/week and God time is less. Not ok, but that's what's happening. We also managed to get letters in the mail to our new pen pals in South Carolina.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…craft a homeschool mission statement. Wise homeschoolers all over the internet advise writing down why you are homeschooling to help get you through those rough days. This sounds great but how to get started? With Marianne Sunderland's Why Homeschool? How to Make a Homeschool Mission Statement. I really like her point that having a mission statement helps you decide what activities to include and which good opportunities to decline. That's the biggest reason I am recrafting our mission statement this summer. ODD has so many activities she wants to do and I need to make sure they line up with our reasons for homeschooling or I will be a crazy person.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…last Sunday we celebrated summer birthdays with my side of the family. Today YDD and I met some homeschool friends at a local park. Those are the only fun outings we've had.

Things I’m working on…re-arranging.We bought a new dresser for me and were given a gorgeous buffet. This has resulted in so much storage. We live in a house with one closet on the main floor and it's the one in my bedroom. Upstairs isn't much better: there are 2 closets one is being used as a bedroom and one is used for lots of stuff. I now have a place to neatly stack towels. I now have a place for paper towels that I can reach. I now have 4 empty cubbies that I am working on using. I am so excited because we've moved all my kitchen stuff that I had been storing in the garage into the house. Our garage is a dirty place and I've only stored kitchen stuff out there because there was no other option. We're also working on getting the girls' room re-arrange done. Right now we're working on the spaces that were their bedrooms and will be their private spaces. I am stunned at how much garbage can fit into a 5x10 foot space. I am not taking pictures because I do NOT want to remember this part.

My favorite things this week . . . real cream in my coffee. I usually use half & half, but I have cream in the house for making a treacle tart so I decided to have some in my coffee. SO GOOD. I forget how much I love it until I have it again.

My kids' favorite things this week . . . has not been cleaning out the garage or their rooms or moving rocks, but all of that makes Mom happy.

I’m cooking…not as much as I'd like. I'm very much looking forward to the cooking my new fridge and freezer will enable.

I’m thankful … YDD has been able to go off her tummy medicine cold turkey with no problems. She started it back in January because she was so anxious, but counseling has helped her process a lot of heart transplant baggage and now she's off the medication. I am so thrilled and so thankful to have her in this new place.

I’m praying for…Jennifer Huston and her family & friends. If you don't know, she is a mom of 2 boys who went out to do errands last Thursday [7/24/2014] and disappeared. She is the neighbor of a lady I went to church with and that same church has been helping a lot with the search & prayer efforts. It's hit home with a lot of my friends from that church. Police are stumped, so we continue to pray and do what we can to get the word out.

I rewarded my kids this week by… baking a cake. ODD wasn't feeling great and wanted first a cinnamon roll and then a bagel. I told her I didn't want to go any where, but that I would bake. She picked cake, so we had one just because.

3 comments:

  1. We are starting our 4th year of homeschooling and I have yet to craft a mission statement. On the About us page of my blog, I wrote about why I chose to home school, and I find myself going back to read that again and again. And whenever I go back to read it, I do get encouraged all over again! I am however, going to sit and write a statement soon. Thanks for your post/journal entry. Happy Homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes having cake just because is just what you need :) I too need to write a mission statement. This is our fourth year homeschooling and I haven't done that either. Thanks for the encouragement and take care of yourself too!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried the "Daddy need half an hour alone! Don't disturb me unless something is on fire or one of you is bleeding" and hour of silent reading after lunch where nobody is allow to talk to anyone else. Both have worked with some but not complete success.

    I don't have a homeschool mission statement. I remember trying to write one years ago as a family mission statement without any success. I find it hard to condense it down to something short and meaningful.

    I will pray for the missing woman and her family.

    ReplyDelete